HTML5Boilerplate helps you start your project with a lean, mobile-friendly HTML template; optimized Google Analytics snippet; placeholder touch-device icon; and docs covering dozens of extra tips and tricks.
Includes Normalize.css v1 — a modern, HTML5-ready alternative to CSS resets — and further base styles, helpers, media queries, and print styles.
And it puts all the stuff you need into the right place. Thing you need: like cross-domain-policy.xml, a favicon, that dreaded 404-page, and that code that asks your users to get a modern browser.
HTML5 Boilerplate is licensed under the MIT open source license.
Choose one of the following options:
- Download the latest stable release from html5boilerplate.com or a custom build from Initializr or
- Clone the git repo —
git clone https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate.git– and checkout the tagged release you’d like to use.
And the features keep coming.
- HTML5 ready. Use the new elements with confidence.
- Cross-browser compatible (Chrome, Firefox, IE8+, Opera, Safari).
- Designed with progressive enhancement in mind.
- Includes Normalize.css for CSS normalizations and common bug fixes.
- The latest jQuery via CDN, with a local fallback.
- The latest Modernizr build for feature detection.
- Placeholder CSS Media Queries.
- Useful CSS helpers.
- Default print CSS, performance optimized.
- Protection against any stray
- An optimized Google Analytics snippet.
- Apache server caching, compression, and other configuration defaults for Grade-A performance.
- Cross-domain Ajax and Flash.
- “Delete-key friendly.” Easy to strip out parts you don’t need.
- Extensive inline and accompanying documentation.
HTML5 Boilerplate v4 provides legacy browser support (IE 6+, Firefox 3.6+, Safari 4+), but is no longer actively developed.
In addition, it provides the right place and guidance for using a single apple-touch-icon.
Initializr is an HTML5 templates generator to help you getting started with a new project based on HTML5 Boilerplate. It will build you a Boilerplate that is closer to your own needs. It generates for you a clean customizable template with just what you need to start.
Initializr kick-starts the development of your new projects. It generates templates based on HTML5 Boilerplate by allowing you to choose which parts you want or don’t want. A responsive template has also been added to start from a basic design instead of a blank page.
You can select Bootstrap 3, get HTML5 Polyfills, jQuery, and turn on and off those other features.
- Go to Initializr.
- Fine tune in the browser.